Monday 19 December 2016

Boxing Day Confessions from a Bus Shelter

"I have a confession to make," she said.
"Oh?” What?" I asked her "Are you married?”
"Not that I remember" she replied "I would hope if I were I wouldn’t be standing in a bus shelter kissing another man”
It was Boxing Day and we were on our way to the “Grapes”. And the reason we were on our way there was because they showed live football in the bar and United were playing Liverpool.
I was a Man Utd fan and it was an important match.
Well to be honest it was always an important match when we played Liverpool.
She could have been married for all I knew. I hadn’t known her long and we’d only had our first date on Christmas Eve and so there was a lot I didn’t know about her.
Her name was Billi Ridgway and she was new to the village, her family had moved in to the house next door to my parents, two weeks before Christmas from somewhere in Cheshire.
I liked the look of her from the first minute and asked her out but it took me almost 2 weeks before I wore her down.
So we were on our way to the pub on Boxing Day when we stopped for an intimate interlude in the bus shelter.
It was kind of an instant attraction thing, certainly for me, and since the first attraction had gradually deepened and now I was head over heels in love with her.
"What then?"
"I’ve been dreading saying this” she said
I was really worried now I wasn’t sure I wanted to know.
Billi took a deep breath and I braced myself
“I’m a Liverpool supporter” she said and closed her eyes and grimaced
It took a moment for the full implications of her statement to sink in.
“I think I would have preferred it if you were married” I said
She moved close in to me and asked
“Do you mean you would prefer a married woman to be in love with you rather than a Liverpool supporter?”
“She loved me” I said to myself and I wasn’t sure if that shocked me more than the fact she supported Liverpool.
"I'm sorry," she said "Not much of a Christmas present for my new boyfriend I’m afraid"
She couldn't have been more wrong. It was the perfect Christmas
present.
Billi Ridgeway loved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment